At Preston DMV we can assist you with your REAL ID Driver’s License and ID.
Beginning May 3, 2023, every air traveler 18 years and older will need a REAL ID, Enhanced Driver’s License or ID, Passport or another acceptable form of ID to fly within the United States or enter federal facilities.
Driver’s License Fees and Requirements
Driver’s License Fees
|Class D – Regular or under age 21||$32|
|Provisional Driver’s License||$19.25|
|Class D Provisional License Upgrade|
to under age 21 driver’s license
|Class A – Regular||$51|
|Class A – Under age 21||$31|
|Class B – Regular or under age 21||$43|
|Class C – Regular or under age 21||$36|
|School Bus Processing Fee||$4|
|Duplicate Driver’s License – All classes||$17|
|Enhanced Driver’s License|
(in addition to applicable Driver’s License card fee)
|Under Age 65||$21.50|
|Age 65 and Older||$20.75|
|Physical Disability, Development Disability|
or Qualified Mental Illness
|Enhanced Identification Card|
(in addition to applicable Driver’s License card fee)
Permits & Endorsements
|Class D Instruction Permit||$15.50|
|Class A, B or C Instruction Permit||$10.50|
|Endorsement Examination Fees||$2.50|
|Motorcycle Instruction Permit|
|Motorcycle Endorsement Renewal|
|Standby or Temporary Custodian Designation||$4.25|
REAL ID Required Documents
In order to apply for an REAL ID Driver’s License or Identification card,
you’ll need to provide documents that meet the following requirements.
List A – PROOF OF IDENTITY and DATE OF BIRTH, and legal Presence in the United States (One document required from this list)
- Valid, unexpired U.S. passport or passport card.
- Original or certified copy of U.S. or U.S. Territory birth certificate that bears the raised or authorized seal of the issuing jurisdiction or a protective equivalent.
- Consular report of birth abroad, certification of report of birth, or certification of birth abroad (Form FS-240, DS-1350, or FS-545) issued by the U.S. Department of State.
- Valid, unexpired permanent resident card (Form I-551) issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security or the former immigration and Naturalization Service of the U. S. Department of Justice.
- Certificate of naturalization (Form N-550 or N-570) issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security or by the U.S. Department of Justice
- Certificate of citizenship (Form N-560 or Form N-561) issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
- Unexpired employment authorization document (Form I-766 or Form I-688B) issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
- Valid, unexpired passport issued by a foreign country and a valid, unexpired U.S. visa accompanied by a Form I-94 as documentation of the applicant’s most recent lawful admittance. If the form I-94 is endorsed “DS” than a Form I-20, Form DS-2019 or Form I-551.
NAME CHANGES: If the name on the identity document above is not the same as the name you currently use, a name document must be submitted. If you have changed your name more than once, since the issuance of your proof of identity document, then you must submit documentation for each name change.
- Certification of Marriage certified by the issuing government of jurisdiction
- Certified court order that specifies the name change
- Certified divorce decree or dissolution of marriage that specifies the name change
List B – PROOF OF SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER (one document from this list with the applicant’s current name). Laminated documents or documents with alterations will not be accepted.
- Social Security Card – Laminated cards will not be accepted
- Federal form W-2
- Federal form SSA-1099 or other Federal form 1099 with Social Security Number
- Computer-printed U.S. employment pay stub with name, address, and Social Security Number
If a foreign passport is used for evidence of identity and date of birth, then additional documentation demonstrating non work authorized status may be needed to verify non-eligibility for a Social Security Number.
List C – PROOF OF MINNESOTA RESIDENCE (Two different documents from this list. All documents must have applicant’s name and principal residence MN address.) A P.O. Box will not be accepted.
- Valid, unexpired Minnesota driver’s license, or instruction permit – must have current address listed.
- Valid, unexpired Minnesota ID card – must have current address listed.
- Home utility services bill issued no more than 12 months before the application.
- Home Utility Services hook-up work order issued no more than 12 months before the application.
- United States bank or financial information with account numbers redacted including (issued no more than 12 months before application date).
– Bank account statement OR credit card or debit card statement OR brokerage account statement OR money market account statement
- Certified transcript from a U.S. high school issued no more than 180 days before the application.
- Certified transcript from a Minnesota college or university, issued no more than 180 days before the application.
- Employment pay stub issued no more than 12 months before the application that lists the employer’s name and address
- Minnesota unemployment insurance benefit statement issued no more than 12 months before application.
- Unexpired Minnesota professional license – must contain a current Minnesota address.
- Statement from a housing with services building registered under chapter 144D, nursing home licensed under chapter 144A, or a boarding care facility licensed under section 144.50 to 144.56 issued no more than 12 months before the application.
- Current policy or card for health, automobile, homeowner’s or renters insurance.
- Federal or state income tax return for themost recent tax filing year.
- Minnesota property tax statement for the current or prior calendar year or a proposed Minnesota property tax notice for the current year that shows the applicant’s principal residential address both on the mailing portion and portion stating what property is being taxed.
- Minnesota vehicle certificate of title.
- Filed property deed or title for current residence.
- Supplemental Security Income award statement issued no more than 12 months before the application.
- Mortgage documents for the applicant’s principal residence.
- Residential lease agreement for the applicant’s principal residence issued no more than 12 months before the application.
- Unexpired Selective Service card.
- Military orders that are still in effect at the time of application.
- Cellular phone bill issued no more than 12 months before the application.
- Valid license issued pursuant to the game and fish laws.
Auto and Driver License Bureau
201 Fillmore Street
Preston, MN 55965
Open Monday-Friday from 8:30am – 5pm